Friday, January 8, 2010

Today the public relations office received a letter. All that was written on the outside was K-233. I gave it to the secretary and noticed a funny look on her face when she read it. It was a love letter. It went into long detail all the things that they loved about the person and how they loved having their arms around them and sharing music and all the things that they did together. It was simply signed -S. The secretary let me read the letter and I noticed that the heading was in German and the date written in the European style, with the day coming before the month. The German teaching assistant has a box number of 223, so it's possible that they simply wrote the numbers wrong. I feel like I saw someone's secret life. It makes me wary of the concept of love letters. At the sametime, to receive such a letter might be nice, but to see those things on paper, it's overwhelming. Especially to see them and know they don't belong to you.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Hi.........................................

Colin Welch said...

Nice spam you got there.

My real reply is:

For Christmas this year, my grandfather gave everyone in the family simply-framed copies of a postcard, which was sent by my grandmother to her sister, no more than a year prior to her marriage to my grandfather. The letter was talking about my grandfather. I was unsure of how I felt about reading that sort of thing, but having read it, I realized how beautiful such an artifact of time is.

You have seen part of this person's life, yes, but you have experienced such emotions and feelings too. Enjoy the universality of what you witnessed.