Sunday, January 17, 2010

A note on Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
When I was eleven and had the day off from school my mom decided to tell me that her and my father were getting a separation right before we went out to lunch. I locked myself in the bathroom because it was the only room with a lock and refused to come out. My mom talked me out of the bathroom and we went to lunch like the conversation never happened. My dad was on a business trip. He didn't want a separation. He didn't want her to tell me that she wanted a separation. When he called that night she wouldn't let me talk to him. He came home the next day when I got back from school and started crying. It was one of the saddest things that I have ever seen.

I have a really mixed relationship with MLK day.

1 comment:

Stef said...

:(

My mother told me while we were playing charades when I was 11. I told her they weren't allowed and that if she was crying, then she must not really want it. I then locked myself in my bedroom and didn't come out for two days.

I don't play charades anymore. We had to do it in German one day and I almost just walked out.