Monday, January 18, 2010

On Thursday the front page story of the Galesburg Register Mail was about a fire at a Galesburg bowling alley. The Wednesday front page story was about the same thing. The earthquake on Haiti was on page three. While reading the story for mention of Knox I noticed something peculiar: someone had typed "Haiti" over the picture of the bowling alley.

I got into a discussion with a friend about this. I argued that Haiti should have been on the front page (it was finally on Friday, but this was several days after it had occurred), he argued that because the Register Mail is a paper is a paper for a somewhat small city that they should show Galesburg news as they probably have very little to add about the earthquake. I disagree wholly and completely. Galesburg actually has three newspapers, all of which report on local news. No one died in the bowling alley fire, whereas many people have died and continue to die in Haiti. I don't like the idea of something being sensationalized, but I think in a case like this, awareness with bring more aid.

No comments: