Sunday, March 8, 2009

Literary Analysis

I told him I was having nightmares.
He told me to spend less time in bed.

The things that pile up around me:
20 books, some with pages falling out.
I'm afraid my water bottle is going to collect mold.
Wine glasses sit in the kitchen sink
with a purple circle still in the bottom.

I practice literary analysis.

One time on the street I found a note that said:
"I'm sorry I still love you,"
I have spent the last two years questioning
whether that meant
I'm sorry I still love you
I'm sorry I still love you
I'm sorry I still love you

How many ways are there really to interpret
when someone says bye?

We have group discussions.
At this point, nothing is definitive.

I have a rotton container of guacamole
and a mug with the tea bag still inside.
I wake up in the morning and my back hurts
my throat hurts and my stomach hurts
and I cannot place why.

Bacteria stands as reason,
the scientific aside.

When I wake up, my head is
pounding from sleeping too much.



* I saw "I'm sorry I still love you" on someone's facebook, but I didn't want to put that in a poem.

4 comments:

Colin Welch said...

There's a rhyme between why and aside at the end. I like the poem overall, but i'd get rid of that particular rhyme, as it doesn't fit with the rest of the poem.

Tasha said...

Thanks Colin, I have a hard time hearing rhyme.

Ben C said...

By always doing my Humanities reading sitting in bed, I have psychologically linked sleeping to reading to such a great degree that no matter where I open up a book to read I am asleep within 15 minutes.

Colin Welch said...

Whereas I have an excellent ear for rhyme. We make a good team Tasha. :)

Also, does this mean I'm in your poetry? I do believe I suggested getting out of bed, so that could very well be me. If so, I stand by what I said.