Monday, March 2, 2009

Generational Gap

1.
At my Grandpa's funeral, it was described
how when he talked it you, it was like you were
the only person in the room.

I am apt to be skeptical of this,
of most things, but I too felt that way,
even as he lay on the hospital bed
breathing into a plastic tube.

I am not this way.

When I am talking to you, I am
probably thinking of someone else,
unless you are You in which case,
You probably know and when I'm there
I don't stare at the ceiling.

2.
It might be because I don't like it when You
or you look at me.

Sincerity comes in the form of two people looking
at each other and neither of them are lying.
This is why it takes a lot to look at someone.

My Grandmother cannot move her arms
and has no strength in her legs to walk,
but still her back is straight and she stares
her mouth gaping, her eyes watery
and the curve of her nose even more pronounced.

3.
Dreaming is idealized,
but is best renounced through that dream,
where I was flying, but I was being chased
and it took forever to get off the ground:
my legs were too heavy.

The word dream is too general.
I need something better, like when my eyes are open
I still see pictures of things I want:
more often or not this is something edible or You
and you in both, but different.
One is the things I would like to see
and the other is things I never want to see again.

No comments: