Monday, June 13, 2011

The ride to Munich went very well. The bus driver was fantastic and before I could ask for help he said something like "Oh let me help you put your bags in the bus storage." Okay, so the only word I understand was help, which sounded like a very mangled Austrian version of hilfen (help in German). I actually appreciate the long bus ride so I could admire the countryside for one last time until I had to pee really badly. Peeing at the train station was interesting as it costs .50cents and you have to run through this little door after you pay, only I had two giant suitcases, so I had to position them appropriately and then hope for the best and go. I was impressed with my speed. Then I sat around the Linz train station for an hour and a half until the train came and I thought about how much fucking time I've spend in that place. It is so familiar and homelike. The train was late, which is a bummer because when they are late they try to make up time by stopping for a minuscule amount of time and the door almost closed on my suitcase, which was especially bad because there was someone behind me. I found places for my suitcases, but no place for me, so for the first hour until we reached Salzburg I sat on the steps by one of the train doors. Luckily the door had a window. There were approximately 700 little blonde children that all seemed to be related running up and down the train and using the bathroom. This was quite irritating as they peed all over the toilet seat. When the train stopped in Salzburg I was able to snag a seat and the rest of the voyage went without incident and the walk to my hostel was nice and easy. I met an Australian (because everyone always meets Australians traveling) and we went to the Augustiner beer hall and sat outside and I ate dumplings and drank a beer and it was really nice to have company. She even was able to tell me where to buy travel toothpaste. Considering I have been stressed out about this day for approximately nine months, I would say it was excellent and I am so glad it is done with. Tomorrow I am going to wander around Munich, buy some travel toothpaste and face wash, and be grateful I am going home.

No comments: