Monday, February 1, 2010

Everything I know about making a sandwich:

Making sandwiches is really hard. It doesn't sound hard, it is merely an accumulation of fairly simply prepared ingredients between two slices of bread, but it is much more complicated than that. Sandwiches prepared by restaurants are often far better than sandwiches made by the common folk and this perturbed me. Why is it when I make a sandwich it isn't as good? So I set out on a mission to make my sandwiches great.

1. The bread: Good bread is necessary. Preferably fresh whole wheat bread that's really big. Little, soft, bread just doesn't hold sandwiches together.

2. The meat: Veggie sandwiches are good, but as I don't eat very much protein I try to put a little meat in every sandwich. The goal is to not overload the sandwich with it because sliced meat doesn't have as much flavor as vegetables. Bacon is really delicious on almost every sandwich.

3. The cheese: Do not use American Cheese whatever you do. Mozzarella is my favorite, but I'm not opposed to a good cheddar or provolone.

4. The vegetables: The bigger the variety, the best. The more flavors a sandwich has, the tastier it is. I like tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cucumbers, and sprouts. This gives the sandwich height and substance and it's like eating a salad between two slices of bread.

5. The sauce: The final key to a good sandwich is the spread component. This is absolutely necessary otherwise the sandwich is bland or dry. I am a big mayonnaise fan, but pesto or an avocado spread is also delicious. All three work together really.

Eating a sandwich is often my favorite part of a day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree with you on all your sandwich choices,, i was going to specify, but i would just list everything.

reading this made me want a sandwich.