Friday, April 16, 2010

The Art Institute yesterday was really good. Somehow I managed to lose everyone from Knox within the first hour or so and wandered around by myself for about five or six hours, walked around Millenium Park with some girl who's name I don't remember and then collapsed on the bus home.

I wrote a prose poem:


The Art Institute
1. After looking at the Matisse exhibit I saw a kid with a sideways mohawk.
2. Sometimes I think, "I don't like this at all."
3. Everyone likes Georgia O'Keege because she understands the vagina.
4. There are a lot of paintings about communism for a museum that costs eighteen dollars to get into.
5. What is beaver board? (See: American Gothic)
6. After staring at a long naked black body a woman turns and smiles at me.
7. The theory seems to be that people don't like to sit down while they're looking at art.
8. I've always loved paintings of ugly women.
9. I've never understood longing so well until I witnessed an exhibit of chairs with nowhere to sit.
10. A man is talking to a security guard. She nods, "Mmmmmm-Hmmmmm," and stares off into the distance.
11. There is a portrait of a man drinking water.
12. I sit for a long time writing. I am doing the wrong thing.
13. A teenage boy walked by and said, "Everything in here isn't art."
14. "European stuff seems kind of stuffy comparred to all the ancient stuff."
15. There is a mummy case, but it doesn't say if anyone is inside.
16. An old man explains to his wife how to use weaponry.
17. Looking at Indian art I think about the time my cousin put a dot on her forehead to hide an incoming zit.
18. Everytime a child cries I stare at them: a new installation.
19. In Asian art I start thinking about my grandmother, but I'm not sure why because she isn't Asian.
20. Security guards march down the hallway with their walkie talkies screaming. You would think I was on the street.
21. The paper is warped, but that is to be expected. How could anything ever recover from that much water?
22. If you want to continue to like Renaissance art, don't study in Italy.
23. From paintings I could conclude that the Dutch are much pinker and more rounded than the rest of us.
24. A security guard just asked if I was okay.
25. Upon seeing a Monet, a woman jumps up and down.
26. A security guard reads the description of a Gauguin like she has never seen it before.
27. "My mother, my mother is whiter than you."
28. The weird thing about men and painters: they've seen parts of yourself that you will never see.
29. Comptemporary art smells like fruit flavored candy.
30. I saw his art in another country.
31. Outside, a woman says to her son, I'll spank yo' ass."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really, really like this, Tasha. I can see you in the institute, wandering around and observing not only the art but also the people and yourself, who are just as if not more interesting. It's really beautiful.

Tasha said...

I'm glad you really like this, because I really like you.

Jenna said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9mkZVo0oM&feature=related